What The Critics Are Saying.....
Singer-Songwriter David G Smith is a major find.
--Robert K. Oermann - Music Row/Nashville Read Robert's article
Like John Prine and Guy Clark, David G Smith draws inspiration from his life and those around him. His songs capture the drama and good times, the laughter and loss that are the components of the modern world. --Tom Wilks/ICON Magazine/icon.com
Like Mary Gauthier and Sam Baker, Smith cuts through....to find essential phrases and words to represent the ache of living. --Fervor Coulee
David G Smith is a man and artist that always delivers...his live performances command your attention, his songs are heartfelt and honest.
--Kate Benson/Director Of Entertainment/Redstone Room
David G Smith is a brilliant singer/songwriter/guitarist. [His] originals speak for those who have no voice. --The Nashville Blues & Roots Alliance. Read Article Here
Smith’s material is as everyman as it gets, and he seems to be influenced not by other artists or styles as much as by life itself. ---Rick Moore MusicNews NY/LA/Nashville
...one killer track after another that might not fit into the ever narrowing dictates of radio but fitting well into the space between your ears. (First Love). -Chris Spector/Midwest Record
David has made a fantastic new record... (One House) --Mary Gauthier/Artist
[Smith] comes across with the same sort of weathered resolve that best exemplifies fellow travelers like Kris Kristofferson and Townes Van Zandt. --Lee Zimmerman/No Depression
One House is no shot at fame. It's a purposeful continuation of Smith's mission to write and sing his own truths. It'll get noticed.
--Peter Cooper/The Tennessean Read Peter's article
Finding his voice and his songwriting soul, Smith has crafted a series of independently released albums… Reflective and demanding. Damn! -FervorCoulee Read Don Teplyske's article
Okay, you did it. (He writes while wiping the tears from his eyes.) Mi Familia is quite beautiful in its simplicity and just knocks the stilts out from under everyone. (Who Cares) --Larry Wines/Tied To The Tracks
David G Smith - Highlights
David is a touring solo artist and regular performer at The Bluebird Café in Nashville whose music ranges from dirt funk to intimate. His troubadour resume includes over 20 years on the road.
• Featured in American Songwriter Jan 2020
• Shine semifinalist International Song Competition Jan 2020
• Mi Familia #1 nationwide on RMR Alt Folk Chart 2019
• Who Cares #1 on RMR Iowa Album Chart 2019
• 2019 Release –Who Cares, 7th album, features a duet with Mary Gauthier and an appearance by America’s Got Talent semi-finalist, Alicia Michilli! Dedicated to the memory of David’s producer & friend, Blue Miller, who passed away unexpectedly during the project.
• Last 3 albums accepted for Grammy consideration.
• "Made For You" 1st Place International Song Contest 2008.
• One House (2015) & First Love (2018) #1 on Roots Music Report’s Alternative Folk and Top 50 Iowa Album Charts. First Love made RMR’s “Best of 2018” list.
• Keb Mo featured on "I Can't Tell" (First Love).
• "Angels Flew" (One House) is listed on the 9/11 National Memorial Artists registry.
• "Doesn't Take Much Light" (One House) was featured on Scouting Magazine Blog and performed by David to 5000 Eagle Scouts in an arena event at Michigan State University.
• "Sunday Morning Drive" with artist Anne E DeChant reached #1 on RMR Folk Singles Chart.
• Songs featured on TNT, Lifetime, and Travel Channel Networks.
• Appearances on NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, and NPR affiliates.
• Has shared the stage with Justin Townes Earle, Ramblin’ Jack Elliot, Kelly Willis + Bruce Robison, 5 time WC Handy Award winner, Rory Block, Rissi Palmer, Buddy Mondlock, Jelly Roll Johnson, Chuck Pyle, Dave Moore, Kevin Gordon, Griffin House.
• Music played on Americana & Folk radio stations across America, in Ireland & Norway.
• Member of Folk Alliance, Lifetime member of Nashville Songwriters Association, Inc (NSAI: GAP Board Member, Adopt-a-Shop Pro), NARAS.
• Raises money/donates time to St. Jude Children's Hospital, Boys Town, and many other worthy causes.
Discography, Media, Cuts
*New Release: Who Cares (HeyDaveMusic) 2019
*First Love (HeyDaveMusic) 2016
*The Family Smith: Live From The Redstone (HeyDaveMusic) 2015
*One House (HeyDaveMusic) 2014
*Pre-Release Single w/ Video: One House (HeyDaveMusic) 2013
*The Family Smith-Live In Nashville (HeyDaveMusic) 2012
*Digital CD: David G Smith Trio Live At The Kennedy Center (Opened for Justin Townes Earle) (HeyDaveMusic)2012
*Non-Fiction (HeyDaveMusic) 2011
*Evolution-3 CD Set/Ltd Edition (D-Cal Music) 2004
Some of David's Song Cuts & Media Placements
*Sunday Morning Drive (Avon Lake Historical Society) 2020
*Various Songs (Tom Manche: Cancer Project) 2020
*Sunday Morning Drive (Anne E DeChant) 2015
*Walk Away Clean (Emerald Blue) 2014
*No One To Anybody (Roxie Randle) 2013
*I'm Not Gonna Let You (Roxie Randle) 2013
*Walk Away Clean featured on Chasing Nashville Sountrack (Helena Hunt) Lifetime Network 2013
*Ripples On The Moon (Chase Tyler) 2013
*The Small Stuff (Cumberland Collective/In The Room) 2012
*Made For You (Cumberland Collective/In The Room) 2012
*Ripples On The Moon (Crawford + James) 2012
*Ripples On The Moon (Dusty Drake--not released) 2011
*Ripples on the Moon (Chad Williams) 2011 (67K hits)
*Ripples On The Moon (Dee Rock/Cimarron Records) 2010
*Almost Like You're Here (Mike Willis/Live At The Listening Room/Nashville) 2010
*Walk Away Clean (Bethany Pope/Bethany Pope) 2010
*Country A Little Bit Funky (July Lee/July Lee) 2010
*Kentucky (July Lee/July Lee) 2010
*Walk Away Clean (Shannon Hawkyard/Shannon Hawkyard) 2010
*Almost Like You're Here (Mike Willis/As I Am) 2009
*Made For You (Mike Willis/As I Am) 2009
*Walk Away Clean (Emily Portman/Country Girl Like Me) 2008
*Mr. Ooh La La featured on Travel Channel's Rissi Palmer's Country (Rissi Palmer)
*Mr. Ooh La La featured on TNT's Saving Grace (Rissi Palmer) 2007
*Mr. Ooh La La (Rissi Palmer/Rissi Palmer) 2007
*Is That All You Got (Angel Rattay/Flying Blind) 2006
*Just A Little Push (Chris Mann-The Voice Finalist) 2004